The LGBT Bar Association of the District of Columbia is proud to announce its 2020 Summer Equality Fellowships, which will support law students working at DC-area LGBT legal nonprofit organizations this summer. The Summer Equality Fellowships hope to encourage law students taking their first steps toward careers tackling our nation’s most complex LGBT legal issues.
The Equality Fellowships will pay up to $750 to law students selected to be LGBT Bar Association of the District of Columbia Equality Fellows.
Qualifications for a LGBT Bar Association of the District of Columbia Equality Fellowship
- Enrollment in a U.S. accredited law school
- Summer employment offered by a legal organization in the Washington DC metro area
- Primary focus of the organization must be on LGBT legal issues or serving LGBT clients
- Employers must be non-profit and non-partisan
- Commitment to work at least 20 hours per week for at least 6 weeks at the organization during the summer of 2020
- Applicants must demonstrate commitment to a legal career serving the rights of LGBT clients or advocating for LGBT-specific legal issues
- Total funding that the law student is already receiving for summer employment cannot exceed $5,000 (not including the Summer Equality Fellowship)
Students interested in the Equality Fellowship should submit the following materials:
- Application form
- Two references (contact information only; letters of recommendation not required)
- Commitment letter or email from employer, which describes (1) the mission and focus of the organization; (2) the type of work being performed by applicant; (3) the duration and hours of the summer position; and (4) the amount of compensation (if any) being offered for the summer position.
Questions about the Equality Fellowships can be sent to the above email address. Applicants will be notified of the Equality Fellowship’s decision by mid-July.